[Numpy-discussion] NA masks in the next numpy release?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Oct 25 13:03:35 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:
> Matthew Brett writes:
>> I'm afraid I find this whole thread very unpleasant.
>
>> I have the odd impression of being back at high school.  Some of the
>> big kids are pushing me around and then the other kids join in.
>
>> It didn't have to be this way.
>
>> Someone could have replied like this to Nathaniel:
>
>> "Oh - yes - I'm sorry -  we actually had the discussion on the pull
>> request.  Looking back, I see that we didn't flag this up on the
>> mailing list and maybe we should have.  Thanks for pointing that out.
>>  Maybe we could start another discussion of the API in view of the
>> changes that have gone in".
>
>> But that didn't happen.
>
> Well, I really thought that all the interested parties would take a look at [1].
>
> While it's true that the pull requests are not obvious if you're not using the
> functionalities of the github web (or unless announced in this list), I think
> that Mark's announcement was precisely directed at having a new round of
> discussions after having some code to play around with and see how intuitive or
> counter-intuitive the implemented concepts could be.

I just wanted to be clear what I meant.

The key point is not whether or not the pull-request or request for
testing was in fact the right place for the discussion that Travis
suggested.   I guess you can argue that either way.   I'd say no, but
I can see how you would disagree on that.

The key point is - how much do we value constructive disagreement?

If we do value constructive disagreement then we'll go out of our way
to talk through the points of contention, and make sure that the
people who disagree, especially the minority, feel that they have been
fully heard.

If we don't value constructive disagreement then we'll let the other
side know that further disagreement will be taken as a sign of bad
faith.

Now - what do you see here?  I see the second and that worries me.

Best,

Matthew