[Numpy-discussion] Pull Request Review: R-like sample function

Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1@uw....
Thu Sep 1 22:31:25 CDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 22:07, Christopher Jordan-Squire <cjordan1@uw.edu> wrote:
>
>> So in the mean time, are there any suggestions for what this R sample
>> function should be called, since random.sample is apparently taken?
>
> If you default to size=1 (which you probably should anyways), then
> np.random.choice() makes sense, in analogy to random.choice() from the
> standard library.

Alright. I can make that change tomorrow. I'd prefer np.sample in the
long-run, for compatibility with R. (False friends are loathsome
things.)  How does one petition to get function names deprecated?

-Chris JS