[Numpy-discussion] Pull Request Review: R-like sample function

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Sep 1 22:38:25 CDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 22:31, Christopher Jordan-Squire <cjordan1@uw.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 22:07, Christopher Jordan-Squire <cjordan1@uw.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> So in the mean time, are there any suggestions for what this R sample
>>> function should be called, since random.sample is apparently taken?
>>
>> If you default to size=1 (which you probably should anyways), then
>> np.random.choice() makes sense, in analogy to random.choice() from the
>> standard library.
>>
> Alright. I can make that change tomorrow. I'd prefer np.sample in the
> long-run, for compatibility with R. (False friends are loathsome
> things.)

We have a number of software packages we might want to be compatible
with and a limited English vocabulary. There is always going to be
some overlap with someone that is misleading in some contexts. It's a
concern, but not an overriding one.

> How does one petition to get function names deprecated?

Ask here. Obtain general agreement. Write a patch. Not necessarily in
that order.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."