[Numpy-discussion] Polynomial implementation in numpy.ma

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed Sep 14 19:13:37 CDT 2011

Hi all,

There were some failures in the polynomial tests earlier today, and
while investigating I saw that numpy.ma implements its own root
finder.  It uses inversion of a Van der Monde matrix, which I believe
may suffer from some numerical instability problems.  Given that
Charles has gone to some length to implement good polynomial root
finders, I think it would be best to employ those instead, and simply
pre-filter the data that comes from the masked array module, if
possible.

Regards
Stéfan