[Numpy-discussion] 1.7.x release of NumPy

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Thu Sep 15 13:45:20 CDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 12:56 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant@gmail.com
> <mailto:teoliphant@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Has there been a discussion of a 1.7.x release of NumPy?     There
>     are a few new features that should go into the 1.x release of
>     NumPy, that don't require the ABI changes of 2.0.    I thought I
>     had heard Mark talk in support of such a thing.
>

> A little. I think our 6-month release cycle is working pretty well,
> which means a 1.7.0 release around mid-November. There are definitely
> enough new features for a solid release already, but I have the
> impression that it wouldn't hurt for the missing data functionality to
> get exercised a bit more.
>

>     What are the plans for the release of NumPy 2.0?
>
> Mark and others have been very good at maintaining ABI compatibility.
> At the same time the numpy-refactor branch has dropped off the radar
> (any news/plans?). So I'm wondering what would go into 2.0 that is
> ready now or soon?
>
> Ralf

What is the possibility of adding datarray and carray packages to numpy
or scipy in the 'near future'?
Or do these need to wait and see what happens to the new masked and NA
implementations?
(Actually probably a lot of what happens may depend on this.)

Bruce