[Numpy-discussion] Bug in numpy std, etc. with other data structures?

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Sat Sep 17 15:48:50 CDT 2011

Just ran into this. Any objections for having numpy.std and other
functions in core/fromnumeric.py call asanyarray before trying to use
the array's method? Other data structures like pandas and larry define
their own std method, for instance, and this doesn't allow them to
pass through. I'm inclined to say that the issue is with numpy, though
maybe the data structures shouldn't shadow numpy array methods while
altering the signature. I dunno.

df = pandas.DataFrame(np.random.random((10,5)))

np.std(df,axis=0)
<snip>
TypeError: std() got an unexpected keyword argument 'dtype'

np.std(np.asanyarray(df),axis=0)
array([ 0.30883352,  0.3133324 ,  0.26517361,  0.26389029,  0.20022444])

Though I don't think this would work with larry yet.

Pull request: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/160

Skipper