[Numpy-discussion] Fw: sparse vectors / matrices / tensors

Dinesh B Vadhia dineshbvadhia@hotmail....
Tue Sep 20 14:53:46 CDT 2011

Yannick
Sounds great.  Would cross-post on the Scipy list as that is where the scipy.sparse developers hang out.
Dinesh

From: Yannick Versley
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:33 AM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] sparse vectors / matrices / tensors

  This question seems like it's more relevant to the scipy mailing list,
  since scipy has scipy.sparse.

My point was that the current situation (i.e., people reinventing the wheel)
was a by-product of the fact that there's nothing as standardized as
numpy's ndarray or Python's buffer interface, if only for the
simple reason that most people only ever work with dense matrices.

(scipy.sparse uses several different data structures that are all limited
to two axes, and have no common low-level interface).

I'll be happy to ask on the scipy list, if that's where the discussion should be.

Yannick