[Numpy-discussion] creating/working NumPy-ndarrays in C++

Chris Barker chris.barker@noaa....
Wed Apr 4 15:05:27 CDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM, srean <srean.list@gmail.com> wrote:

>> One big issue that I had with weave is that it compile on the fly. As a
>> result, it makes for very non-distributable software (requires a compiler
>> and the development headers installed), and leads to problems in the long

> I do not know much Cython, except for the fact that it is out there
> and what it is supposed to do., but wouldnt Cython need a compiler too
> ?

Yes, but at build-time, not run time.

> I imagine distributing Cython based code would incur similar amounts
> of schlep.

if you distribute source, yes, but if you at least have the option of
distributing binaries. (and distutils does make that fairly easy, for
some value of fairly)

And many folks distribute the Cython-build C code with a source
distro, so the end user only needs to compile -- same as any other
compiled Python extension.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov