[Numpy-discussion] speed of append_fields() in numpy.lib.recfunctions vs matplotlib.mlab

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Fri Apr 6 18:39:32 CDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM, cgraves <christoph.graves@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the speed of append_fields() in numpy.lib.recfunctions is much
> slower than rec_append_fields() in matplotlib.mlab. See the following code:

As I remember it (Pierre M can probably correct me) the recfunctions
are not ports of the mlab functions, but are considerably extended in
order to deal with masking, and do not have exactly the same API.
When I noticed this I wondered if there would be some sensible way of
making the mlab routines available in a separate namespace, but I did
not pursue it.

Cheers,

matthew