[Numpy-discussion] YouTrack testbed

Bryan Van de Ven bryanv@continuum...
Thu Apr 12 10:37:32 CDT 2012

On 4/10/12 2:40 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <bryanv@continuum.io
> <mailto:bryanv@continuum.io>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/3/12 4:18 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>     > Here some first impressions.
>     >
>     > The good:
>     > - It's responsive!
>     > - It remembers my preferences (view type, # of issues per page,
>     etc.)
>     > - Editing multiple issues with the command window is easy.
>     > - Search and filter functionality is powerful
>     >
>     > The bad:
>     > - Multiple projects are supported, but issues are then really mixed.
>     > The way this works doesn't look very useful for combined admin of
>     > numpy/scipy trackers.
>     > - I haven't found a way yet to make versions and subsystems
>     appear in
>     > the one-line issue overview.
>     > - Fixed issues are still shown by default. There are several open
>     > issues filed against youtrack about this, with no reasonable
>     answers.
>     > - Plain text attachments (.txt, .diff, .patch) can't be viewed, only
>     > downloaded.
>     > - No direct VCS integration, only via Teamcity (not set up, so can't
>     > evaluate).
>     > - No useful default views as in Trac
>     > (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/report).
>
>     Ralf,  regarding some of the issues:
>

> Hi Bryan, thanks for looking into this.
>

>     I think for numpy/scipy trackers, we could simply run separate
>     instances
>     of YouTrack for each.
>

> That would work. It does mean that there's no maintenance advantage
> over using Trac here.
>
>     Also we can certainly create some standard
>     queries. It's a small pain not to have useful defaults, but it's
>     only a
>     one-time pain. :)
>

> That should help.
>
>     Also, what kind of integration are you looking for with github? There
>     does appear to be the ability to issue commands to youtrack
>     through git
>     commits, which does not depend on TeamCity, as best I can tell:
>
>     http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/YTD3/GitHub+Integration
>     http://blogs.jetbrains.com/youtrack/tag/github-integration/
>
>     I'm not sure this is what you were thinking about though.
>

> That does help. The other thing that's useful is to reference commits
> (like commit:abcd123 in current Trac) and have them turned into links
> to commits on Github. This is not a showstopper for me though.
>

>     For the other issues, Maggie or I can try and see what we can find out
>     about implementing them, or working around them, this week.
>

> I'd say that from the issues I mentioned, the biggest one is the
> one-line view. So these two:
>   - I haven't found a way yet to make versions and subsystems appear in
>     the one-line issue overview.
>   - Fixed issues are still shown by default. There are several open
> [...]

Ralf,

I don't believe there is a solution for the first issue. There are
tickets on YouTrack filed specifically asking for this feature, but it
does not seem clear they want to implement it.

For the second, I created a saved search called "open" that I think
should show up for all users (let me know if it does not). The nice
thing is, this save search can be referenced in other searches, so you
can do:

     saved search: open Subsystem: test3 sort by: updated

and get all the open tickets for that subsystem. I think basically it's
just a different type of workflow, fixed tickets show up "by default"
because everything shows up by default, there is no search criteria to
exclude them. But it seems easy enough to combine searches to get what
you want.

Another trac feature that I did realize is missing is a "group by"
functionality. So you can sort by subsytem, but there is no notion of
nicely grouping by them as in trac. There's a feature request for this,
too, but who knows if or when it will get put in.

Travis mentioned he had created a code.google.com site for numpy a long
time ago that never got used. I think Maggie is going to create a few
dozen test tickets on its issue tracker today and then we can also have
that to evaluate as well.

Bryan