[Numpy-discussion] YouTrack testbed

Thu Apr 12 11:04:26 CDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <bryanv@continuum.io>wrote:

> [...]
>> > numpy/scipy trackers.
>> > - I haven't found a way yet to make versions and subsystems appear in
>> > the one-line issue overview.
>> > - Fixed issues are still shown by default. There are several open
>> > issues filed against youtrack about this, with no reasonable answers.
>> > - Plain text attachments (.txt, .diff, .patch) can't be viewed, only
>> > downloaded.
>> > - No direct VCS integration, only via Teamcity (not set up, so can't
>> > evaluate).
>> > - No useful default views as in Trac
>> > (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/report).
>>
>>  Ralf,  regarding some of the issues:
>>

> Hi Bryan, thanks for looking into this.
>

>> I think for numpy/scipy trackers, we could simply run separate instances
>> of YouTrack for each.
>

> That would work. It does mean that there's no maintenance advantage over
> using Trac here.
>
>  Also we can certainly create some standard
>> queries. It's a small pain not to have useful defaults, but it's only a
>> one-time pain. :)
>>

> That should help.
>

>> Also, what kind of integration are you looking for with github? There
>> does appear to be the ability to issue commands to youtrack through git
>> commits, which does not depend on TeamCity, as best I can tell:
>>
>> http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/YTD3/GitHub+Integration
>> http://blogs.jetbrains.com/youtrack/tag/github-integration/
>>
>> I'm not sure this is what you were thinking about though.
>>

> That does help. The other thing that's useful is to reference commits
> (like commit:abcd123 in current Trac) and have them turned into links to
> commits on Github. This is not a showstopper for me though.
>

>> For the other issues, Maggie or I can try and see what we can find out
>> about implementing them, or working around them, this week.
>>

> I'd say that from the issues I mentioned, the biggest one is the one-line
> view. So these two:
>   - I haven't found a way yet to make versions and subsystems appear in
>     the one-line issue overview.
>   - Fixed issues are still shown by default. There are several open
>     issues filed against youtrack about this, with no reasonable answers.
>

> Ralf,
>
> I don't believe there is a solution for the first issue. There are tickets
> on YouTrack filed specifically asking for this feature, but it does not
> seem clear they want to implement it.
>
> For the second, I created a saved search called "open" that I think should
> show up for all users (let me know if it does not). The nice thing is, this
> save search can be referenced in other searches, so you can do:
>
>     saved search: open Subsystem: test3 sort by: updated
>
> and get all the open tickets for that subsystem. I think basically it's
> just a different type of workflow, fixed tickets show up "by default"
> because everything shows up by default, there is no search criteria to
> exclude them. But it seems easy enough to combine searches to get what you

Well, not that easy. For example, if I want to go through all open tickets
and get an overview of how many open tickets there are for each scipy
module. In Trac I can just sort by "component" and see the (approximate)
answer. In Youtrack I'd have to execute "saved search: open Subsystem:xxx"
once for each module.

Of course a tracker with a useful REST API where you could get the exact
answer with a few lines of Python code would be even better....

Another trac feature that I did realize is missing is a "group by"
> functionality. So you can sort by subsytem, but there is no notion of
> nicely grouping by them as in trac. There's a feature request for this,
> too, but who knows if or when it will get put in.

Agreed.

> Travis mentioned he had created a code.google.com site for numpy a long
> time ago that never got used. I think Maggie is going to create a few dozen
> test tickets on its issue tracker today and then we can also have that to
> evaluate as well.

Is that necessary? I think there's a reason no one has suggested it so far
- it has very few features. Plus it's blocked in China (and probably other
countries too), which is enough of a problem in my opinion to immediately
dismiss it.

Ralf