[Numpy-discussion] Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Tue Apr 17 01:59:09 CDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:40:53PM -0500, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> > The objectors object to any binary ABI change, but not specifically
> > three pointers rather than two or one?

> Adding pointers is not really an ABI change (but removing them after
> they were there would be...)  It's really just the addition of data to
> the NumPy array structure that they aren't going to use.  Most of the
> time it would not be a real problem (the number of use-cases where you
> have a lot of small NumPy arrays is small), but when it is a problem it
> is very annoying.

I think that something that the numpy community must be very careful
about is ABI breakage. At the scale of a large and heavy institution, it
is very costly. In my mind, this is the argument that should guide the
discussion: does going one way of the other (removing NA or not) will
lead us likely into ABI breakage ?

My 2 cents,

Gaël