[Numpy-discussion] Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Tue Apr 17 09:24:20 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
>> Mark and I will have conversations about NumPy while he is in Austin.   There are many other active stake-holders whose opinions and views are essential for major changes.    Mark and I are working on other things besides just NumPy and all NumPy changes will be discussed on list and require consensus or super-majority for NumPy itself to change.     I'm not sure if that helps.   Is there more we can do?
>
> As you might have heard me say before, my concern is that it has not
> been easy to have good discussions on this list.   I think the problem
> has been that is has not been clear what the culture was, and how
> decisions got made, and that had led to some uncomfortable and
> unhelpful discussions.  My plea would be for you as BDF$N to strongly
> encourage on-list discussions and discourage off-list discussions as
> far as possible, and to help us make the difficult public effort to
> bash out the arguments to clarity and consensus.  I know that's a big
> ask.

Hi Matthew,

As you know, I agree with everything you just said :-). So in interest
of transparency, I should add: I have been in touch with Travis some
off-list, and the main topic has been how to proceed in a way that
let's us achieve public consensus.

-- Nathaniel