[Numpy-discussion] Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Apr 17 14:43:16 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right - but that would be an absurd overstatement of what I said.
>> There's no point in addressing something I didn't say and no sensible
>> person would think.   Indeed, it makes the discussion harder.
>
> Well, in that case neither Eric Firing nor I are 'sensible persons',
> since that's how we both understood what you said (Eric's email
> appeared to me as a more concise/better phrased version of the same
> points I was making). You said:
>
> """
> I'm glad to hear that discussion is happening, but please do have it
> on list.   If it's off list it easy for people to feel they are being
> bypassed, and that the public discussion is not important.
> """
>
> I don't think it's an 'absurd overstatement' to interpret that as
> "don't have discussions off-list", but hey, it may just be me :)

The absurd over-statement is the following:

" I'm afraid I have to disagree: you seem to be proposing an absolute,
'zero-tolerance'-style policy against any off-list discussion.  "

>> meta-problem that is a real problem is that we've shown ourselves that
>> we are not currently good at having discussions on list.
>
> Oh, I know that did happen in the past regarding this very topic (the
> big NA mess last summer); what I meant was to try and trust that *this
> time around* things might be already moving in a better direction,
> which it seems to me they are.  It seems to me that everyone is
> genuinely trying to tackle the discussion/consensus questions head-on
> right on the list, and that's why I proposed waiting to see if there
> were really any problems before asking Nathaniel not to have any
> discussion off-list (esp. since we have no evidence that what they
> talked about had any impact on any decisions bypassing the open
> forum).

The question - which seems to me  to be sensible rational and
important - is how to get better at on-list discussion, and whether
taking this particular discussion mainly off-list is good or bad in
that respect.

See you,

Matthew