[Numpy-discussion] Getting C-function pointers from Python to C

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio...
Thu Apr 19 06:00:57 CDT 2012

On 04/12/2012 11:51 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 11:13 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> Dag,
>>
>> Thanks for the link to your CEP.  This is the first time I've seen it.   You probably referenced it before, but I hadn't seen it.
>>
>> That CEP seems along the lines of what I was thinking of.    We can make scipy follow that CEP and NumPy as well in places that it needs function pointers.
>>
>> I can certainly get behind it with Numba and recommend it to SciPy (and write the scipy.integrate.quad function to support it).
>>
>> Thanks for the CEP.
>
> Great. I'll pass this message on to the Cython list and see if anybody
> wants to provide input (but given the scope, it should be minor tweaks
> and easy to accommodate in whatever code you write).

Getting back with a status update on this, the thread is still rolling
and benchmarks getting taken on the Cython list.

I think it will take some more time. This CEP will be incredibly
important for Cython, e.g. if NumPy starts supporting it then

from numpy import sin
cdef double f(double x):
     return sin(x*x)

won't be that much slower than early-binding directly with sin.

It could take another couple of weeks. So for Numba I think just
starting with whatever is fastest is the way to go now; and then
hopefully one can have the CEP done and things ported over before a
Numba or SciPy release gets into the wild without conforming to it.

Dag