[Numpy-discussion] Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio...
Fri Apr 20 13:27:48 CDT 2012

Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker@noaa.gov>
>wrote:
>>
>> I recall discossion a couple times in the past of having some
>> special-case numpy arrays for the simple, small cases -- perhaps 1-d
>> or 2-d C-contiguous only, for instance. That might be a better way to
>> address the small-array performance issue, and free us of concerns
>> about minor growth to the core ndarray object.
>
>+1 on that: I once wrote such code in pyrex (years ago) and it worked
>extremely well for me.  No fancy features, very small footprint and
>highly optimized codepaths that gave me excellent performance.

I don't think you gain that much by using a different type though? Those optimized code paths could be plugged into NumPy as well.

I always assumed that it would be possible to optimize NumPy, just that nobody invested time in it.

Starting from scratch you gain that you don't have to work with and understand NumPy's codebase, but I honestly think that's a small price to pay for compatibility.

Dag