[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Tue Apr 24 23:01:45 CDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:41 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:

> [...]
>>> and unstable trees, or any of the other complicated process changes
>>> that have been suggested. There are tons of projects that routinely
>>> make much bigger changes than we're talking about, and they do it
>>> without needing that kind of overhead. I know that these suggestions
>>> are all made in good faith, but they remind me of a line from that
>>> Apache page I linked earlier: "People tend to avoid conflict and
>>> thrash around looking for something to substitute - somebody in
>>> charge, a rule, a process, stagnation. None of these tend to be very
>>> good substitutes for doing the hard work of resolving the conflict."
>>>
>>> I also think if you talk to potential contributors, you'll find that
>>> clear, simple processes and a history of respecting everyone's input
>>> are much more attractive than a no-rules free-for-all. Good
>>> engineering practices are not an "encumbrance". Resolving conflicts
>>> before merging is a good engineering practice.
>>>
>>> What happened with the NA discussion is this:
>>>  - There was substantial disagreement about whether NEP-style masks,
>>> or indeed, focusing on a mask-based implementation *at all*, was the
>>> best way forward.
>>>  - There was also a perceived time constraint, that we had to either
>>> implement something immediately while Mark was there, or have nothing.
>>>
>>> So in the end, the latter concern outweighed the former, the
>>> discussion was cut off, and Mark's best guess at an API was merged
>>> into master. I totally understand how this decision made sense at the
>>> time, but the result is what we see now: it's left numpy stalled,
>>> rifts on the mailing list, boring discussions about process, and still
>>> no agreement about whether NEP-style masks will actually solve our
>>> users' problems.
>>>
>>> Getting past this isn't *complicated* -- it's just "hard work".
>>

>> I admit to a certain curiosity about your own involvement in FOSS projects,
>> and I know I'm not alone in this. Google shows several years of discussion
>> on Monotone, but I have no idea what your contributions were outside of
>> documentation. Monotone has sort of died, but that is the luck of the draw.
>> Would you care to comment on the success of the process in that project and
>> what went right or wrong? The other thing I see your name attached to is
>> xpra, which gets good reviews, but that was a personal project and forked
>> after you found more interesting things to work on.
>
> I'm sorry, but I think this is really not OK. This is an ad-hominem attack [1].
>
> I'm not going to join in by justifying Nathaniel's expertise, because
> I do not think he should have to do that.  I just think it is wrong to
> ask people to justify their expertise when we should be discussing the
> ideas.
>
> If I was a new subscriber to this list, and saw that my right to speak
> was likely to be audited in public if I disagree, I would be very
> reluctant to differ from the majority.  I do not think that is what we

I agree.   I really hope that was not the intent.  I'm willing to believe that Chuck had only curiosity has his motivator, or perhaps is really trying to understand Nathaniel's experience so that he can contrast it with his own and make his own mind up about what the best ways to participate in open source development are.

However, when I read this I saw how this could be taken in the wrong way and thought "This is not the right line of questioning"    I would make a petition that we try and please just focus on the technical discussion.

> I think his analysis of the issues in the masked array API are also
> reasonable, well-thought out, and well-argued.  I think we should
> address his arguments.  I think we're getting stuck precisely because
> you will not do that.

While I agree with your general assessment of this particular email, I don't think that is entirely fair. I'm sure you recognize that Chuck is addressing technical issues and providing possible solutions in many of his emails.   It's just that this particular line of questioning seems out of place and not relevant.   I do hope this does not continue.

-Travis