[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Andreas H. lists@hilboll...
Wed Apr 25 15:51:56 CDT 2012

> Do you agree that Numpy has not been very successful in recruiting and
> maintaining new developers compared to its large user-base?
>
> Compared to - say - Sympy?
>
> Why do you think this is?

I don't know about SymPy. But in my view (and I'm just a typical user of
NumPy), numpy seems to be at the base of what people actually need to
do. I would assume most users of numpy actually use it because it's
underlying piece of software, i.e. SciPy. It provides convenient, fast
array structures to do maths. I would assume that most users see numpy
as infrastructure, they write their own code on top of it. As a normal
user of numpy, I wouldn't know where it would need improvement to suit
my needs because it already does all I need. (Okay, masked arrays are
something which could definitely improve, but that's another story.)

This is different from other, higher-level FOSS projects, which are
closer to end user final requirements, where end users might be more
compelled to contribute because it's closer to what they're actually
doing. For example, I just wrote two enhancements to scipy.interpolate,
which were / will be merged recently / soon.

Plus, numpy is a lot of C code, and to me (again, as a user) it seems
more complicated to contribute because things are not as isolated.

Just my 2 ct.

Andreas.