[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Chris Barker chris.barker@noaa....
Thu Apr 26 12:02:13 CDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Ralf Gommers

>> Perhaps a more formal "development release" system could help here.
>> IIUC, numpy pretty much has two things:

> This is a good idea - not for development releases but for master. Building
> nightly/weekly binaries would help more people try out new features.

good start, but I think master may fluctuate too quickly (and how
often is it broken?) but better than nothing, yes?

>> 2) there is the wxversion system

> wxversion was broken for a long time on Ubuntu too (~5 yrs ago). I don't
> exactly remember it as a good idea.

well, it was a good idea, maybe not a good implementation -- and it
was vary helpful a few years back when wx was in major flux. What we
really need is python itself providing a package version selection
mechanism, but Guido&c  never saw the need (the existence of
virtualenv proves the need if you ask me....)

> virtualenv also doesn't help, because if you can use that you know how to build from source anyway.

not true -- lots of folks use easy_install and/or pip with virtualenv.

and the git barrier to entry is not trivial -- granted jsut getting
master is not hard, but I know i've been using git for a couple months
on a core project of mine, and I still find it's giving me far more
pain that help. (I know I stil haven't wrapped my brain around what
DVCS really is...)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov