[Numpy-discussion] Licensing question

Damon McDougall damon.mcdougall@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 03:37:02 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:55:32AM +0100, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Those are not the original Fortran sources. The original Fortran sources are
> > in the public domain as work done by a US federal employee.
> >
> > http://www.netlib.org/fftpack/
> >
> > Never trust the license of any code on John Burkardt's site. Track it down
> > to the original sources.
>
> Taken together, what those websites seem to be claiming is that you
> have a choice of buggy BSD code or fixed GPL code? I assume someone
> has already taken the appropriate measures for numpy, but it seems
> like an unfortunate situation...
>

> -n

Wow. I'd like to thank everyone that responded. There were some helpful
suggestions.

For what it's worth, I decided not to use numpy's fft code, nor
libfftpack. I decided to use kissFFT instead since it has support for
multidimensional transforms.

However, I did decided to use numpy's random number routines. It didn't
take me long to package it up and the advice given here was still
useful.

Thanks again.

--
Damon McDougall