[Numpy-discussion] Vagrant VM for building NumPy (1.7.x) Windows binaries

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik@gmail....
Sun Aug 12 23:13:21 CDT 2012

Hi,

I've created this repository:

https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor

which uses Vagrant and Fabric to fully automate the setup & creation
of NumPy binaries for Windows. The setup is especially tricky,
I've thought several times already that I nailed it, and then always
new things pop up. One can of course install things directly in
Ubuntu, but it's tricky, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.
The above approach should be 100% reproducible. So hopefully this
repository will be useful
for somebody new (like I am) to numpy releases. Also my hope is that
more people can help out with the release just by running it on their
machines and/or sending PRs against this repository.

All essential logic is in these two files:

https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor/blob/master/fabfile.py
https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor/blob/master/setup-wine.sh

The setup-wine.sh can be used directly in Ubuntu as well (it erases
~/.wine and reinstalls it). Times: on my computer and internet speed
it takes a little less than 1h to prepare the VM (it needs to download
the 300MB Ubuntu, then about 600MB of Latex, and few MB of other
stuff, and then about 12 minutes of configuring),
and about 0.5 for each binary, so about 6h total (the docs only take a
few minutes).

After doing all this, I just realized that I forgot to build numpy
against atlas. So I will need to fix that. But apart from that, it
should be ok. Travis,
should I upload the binaries to sourceforge and do the beta release
with this? Or should we wait until I fix the atlas.
Also I need to do the Mac binaries. I'll have the Win binaries in
about 6h from now, I am running one final build from scratch now.

My apologies that it took me longer than expected.

Ondrej

P.S. Here is a PR for review (you need to apply it manually if you
want the above to work): https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/384