[Numpy-discussion] Vagrant VM for building NumPy (1.7.x) Windows binaries

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Aug 13 08:46:10 CDT 2012

Hi Ondrej,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created this repository:
>
> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor
>
> which uses Vagrant and Fabric to fully automate the setup & creation
> of NumPy binaries for Windows. The setup is especially tricky,
> I've thought several times already that I nailed it, and then always
> new things pop up. One can of course install things directly in
> Ubuntu, but it's tricky, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.
> The above approach should be 100% reproducible. So hopefully this
> repository will be useful
> for somebody new (like I am) to numpy releases. Also my hope is that
> more people can help out with the release just by running it on their
> machines and/or sending PRs against this repository.

Thanks for doing this. I think vagrant is the way to go. I myself have
some stuff for native windows and vagrant (much more painful, but
sometimes necessary unfortunately).

Did you see veewee to create vagrant boxes ? It simplifies quite a few
things, but maybe they matter more on windows than on linux, where
this kind of things is much simpler.

David