[Numpy-discussion] how to use numpy-vendor

Frédéric Bastien nouiz@nouiz....
Tue Aug 14 08:32:44 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 08/14/2012 06:34 AM, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How should one use the "vendor" repository (https://github.com/numpy/vendor)
>> in Wine? Should I put the binaries into .wine/drive_c/Python25/libs/,
>> or somewhere else?
>> I've search all mailinglists and I didn't find any information on it.
>> I vaguely remember
>> that somebody mentioned it somewhere, but I am not able to find it.
>> Once I understand it,
>> I'll send a PR updating the README.
>>

>> I've played with OpenBlas and managed to compile numpy with it on linux,
>> following the tutorial [1] and it works, so at least on linux it's clear to me.
>
> One thing to be aware of with OpenBlas is that it is *very* tuned to the
> CPU at hand. As in, every CPU has hand-coded *assembly* and the makefile
> more or less probes for which specific CPU generation from which vendor
> you have and compiles and link the corresponding assembly file. So you
> may have to take some care that you don't compile and ship a version
> that breaks if you don't have SSE3 installed etc...
>
> (Unless OpenBlas has changed recently. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm
> saying it should be looked into.)

OpenBlas as the option to build all version and select at run time the
right one. MKL do the same.

But I never tested it. So I don't know how well it work. The other
option would be to force an older CPU that support only sse2. ATLAS do
that by default. OpenBLAS select the best one for the computer where
it is being built by default.

Fred