[Numpy-discussion] A step toward merging odeint and ode

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Wed Aug 15 13:54:18 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Fabrice Silva <silva@lma.cnrs-mrs.fr>wrote:

> Le mardi 14 août 2012 à 21:21 +0200, Ralf Gommers a écrit :
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012, Fabrice Silva <silva@lma.cnrs-mrs.fr> wrote:
> >         I made a pull request [1] to integrate the LSODA solver that
> >         is used in odeint into the modular scipy.integrate.ode generic
> >         class. In a similar way as for vode, it just wraps the already
> >         present lsoda.f file (see .pyf file) and exposes it within an
> >         IntegratorBase subclass adjusting the coefficients before
> >         calling lsoda.
> >
> > Does that mean that odeint can be made a wrapper around lsoda and that
> > the odepack static extension can be completely removed?
>
> Hi Ralf,
> The pull request allows to run the integration using the object-oriented
> interface ode, with the same solver than the odeint interface uses, i.e.
> lsoda, extending the integrators available for the object-oriented
> interface.
>
> As I understand the scipy.integrate architecture, we are by now
> building:
> * the odepack library, which has all the fortran sources required by
> lsoda and vode at least.
> * the _odepack extension, which defines the _odepack module needed by
> odeint.
>
> This latter would be removable, and odeint a wrapper around the lsoda
> pyf'ed function. I suppose you are talking about the _odepack extension,
> am I wrong?

I was mixing it up a bit, but yes: the _odepack extension and the C source
for it. Not necessary to do that at once I guess, but wrapping the same
function twice is once too many.

And forgot in my first email: nice PR, looks good to me.

Ralf