[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.7.0b1 release

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Wed Aug 22 03:10:30 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:

> On 8/21/2012 9:24 AM, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce the availability of the first beta release of
> > NumPy 1.7.0b1.
> >
> > Sources and binary installers can be found at
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.7.0b1/
> >
> > Please test this release and report any issues on the numpy-discussion
> > mailing list. The following problems are known and
> > we'll work on fixing them before the final release:
> >
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2187
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2185
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2066
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1588
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2076
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2101
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2108
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2150
> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2189
> >
> > I would like to thank Ralf for a lot of help with creating binaries
> > and other help for this release.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ondrej
> >

> Hi Ondrej,
>
> will numpy 1.7.0 final support Python 3.3? The recent patch in the
> master branch seems to work well.
>
> I tested a win-amd64-py2.7\msvc9\MKL build of the numpy
> maintenance/1.7.x branch against a number of package binaries from
> <http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/>.
>
> The test results are at
> <
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/tests/20120821-win-amd64-py2.7-numpy-MKL-1.7.0rc1.dev-28ffac7/
> >.
> For comparison, the tests against numpy-MKL-1.6.2 are at
> <http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/tests/20120821-win-amd64-py2.7/
> >.
>
> Besides some numpy 1.7.x test errors due to RuntimeWarning and
> DeprecationWarning

Flipped the release switch on those in commit ea23de8, errors should be
gone now.

> , there are hundreds of "RuntimeWarning (numpy.dtype
> size changed, may indicate binary incompatibility)" when loading Cython
> extensions.

This looks really bad. Last discussion I could find on this topic on the
Cython list:
http://grokbase.com/t/python/cython-devel/121ygkvfhc/cython-upcoming-issues-with-numpy-deprecated-apis-and-cythons-sizeof-checks

At this point I think it would be a good idea to install a warning filter
for this on import of numpy and leave it in place. And also in the test
runner. Even if Cython would fix it now, that doesn't help for all binaries
of existing releases of projects that depend on numpy.

Ralf