[Numpy-discussion] installing numpy in jython (in Netbeans)

Todd Brunhoff toddb@nvr....
Sun Aug 26 18:36:08 CDT 2012

Being a newbie to this list, I recognize that the answer to this might
be "why would you do that?". But surely it can't be worse than that.

Briefly put, I want to install numpy and scipy in jython (reasons
below). Running 'cd <jython distro>; jython setup.py install' runs into
errors. But installing he same distro under python works fine. So the
underlying question is: is there a way to install numpy under jython?

Here's how I got here. The reason I would like this under jython is
wrapped up in Netbeans, Octave, Matlab and Windows 7. I've been using
Netbeans under linux for years for c++ and a bit of Java, and the
editing environment with cross referencing and syntax-directed editing
is quite good. Netbeans only presents python debugging via jython, which
makes sense. Most of the work I am doing is with matrix algebra and I
started with Octave, but while Octave is excellent for operating on
matrices, it is not good for file format manipulations, hence for some
operations I'd like to turn to python, and if I edit under Netbeans, the
debugging requires that I install numpy under jython. At work I use a
machine running fedora 16 .... but... I travel a bit and my travel
machine is a laptop running windows 7. Therefore, Windows 7 + Netbeans +
numpy + debugging ==> jython + numpy + scipy.

Here's the install problems, which occur under numpy-1.7.0b1 and 1.6.2.
The first install error is in numpy\distutils\exec_command.py, line 585,
where it throws an exception because the java exec tests are unlimited.
So I comment out those two lines, and rerun the setup.py.

The next errors are notes about features not being available because
other packages are also unavailable.  I don't think this is really
getting in the way, although I could be wrong.  The libraries mentioned
as missing are:

  * libraries mkl,vml,guide
  * libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas
  * libraries lapack_atlas

So setup gets as far as this:

    running install
    running build
    running config_cc
    unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands
    --compiler options
    running config_fc
    unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands
    --fcompiler options
    running build_src
    build_src
    building py_modules sources
    creating build
    creating build\src.java1.6.0_33-2.5
    creating build\src.java1.6.0_33-2.5\numpy
    creating build\src.java1.6.0_33-2.5\numpy\distutils
    building library "npymath" sources
    No module named jythoncompiler in numpy.distutils; trying from distutils
    customize GnuFCompiler
    Could not locate executable g77
    Could not locate executable f77
    don't know how to compile Fortran code on platform 'java'

Some of these messages make it look as if the config wants to use the
cygwin gnu compilers, which are ok, but under windows are not nearly as
good as mingw gnu compiler or better yet, the visual studio 2010
compiler. I have both, but I don't see a way to steer the numpy setup to
use them.

The next error is fatal

    File "...\numpy-1.7.0b1\numpy\distutils\ccompiler.py", line 111, in
    CCompiler_object_filenames
         if ext not in self.src_extensions:
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

This one looks as if it does not know what .o or .a or .obj files are.
Fixing this one looks like hours of digging through the code. Is there a
simpler solution?

Thanks in advance,

Todd