[Numpy-discussion] installing numpy in jython (in Netbeans)

Todd Brunhoff toddb@nvr....
Sun Aug 26 22:53:28 CDT 2012

Chris,
I appreciate the pointers, which appear to confirm that numpy and jython
are a ways out. I can see where the c-api support in jython would be
required by numpy's implementation.
> 1) [NetBeans support for CPython] -- Maybe this:
> http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python
That seems outdated. I had used http://wiki.netbeans.org/PythonInstall
which points at a plugin repository which does pretty good install. But
of course it is jython, not python. And the Hudson (Jenkins) build was
last done Oct 22, 2010. And interestingly enough, that info points back
to the link you found. Oh well.
> 2) Python programming can be pretty darn productive with "print"
> debugging
Works for me. And sometimes there *is* no other way.
> 3) There are a lot of good IDEs for CPython -- and stad-alone
> debuggers (WinPdb, for example), so you don't need to be married to
> the NetBeans environment.
winpdb is ok, although it is only a graphic debugger, not an ide,
emphasis on the 'd'. As it is, since NB cannot debug python that
requires numpy, it means I must rely on vi & Netbeans for editing and
winpdb for debugging. I don't think about the ide's as being married to
them, but I do like to use the best tools available. NB could be, but is
not for python.

Thanks again for helping to shorten my search for tools.

Todd