[Numpy-discussion] www.numpy.org home page

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Sun Dec 16 07:38:41 CST 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant@gmail.com>wrote:

> For people interested in the www.numpy.org home page:
>
> Jon Turner has officially transferred the www.numpy.org domain to
> NumFOCUS.      Thank you, Jon for this donation and for being a care-taker
> of the domain-name.   We have setup the domain registration to point to
> numpy.github.com and I've changed the CNAME in that repostiory to
> www.numpy.org
>
> I've sent an email to have the numpy.scipy.org page to redirect to
> www.numpy.org.
>
> The NumPy home page can still be edited in this repository:
>  git@github.com:numpy/numpy.org.git.   Pull requests are always welcome
> --- especially pull requests that improve the look and feel of the web-page.
>
> Two of the content changes that we need to make a decision about is
>
>         1) whether or not to put links to books published (Packt
> publishing for example has offered a higher percentage of their revenues if
> we put a prominent link on www.numpy.org)

I'm +1 on showing links to books in a sidebar on the main page and/or on
the documentation page, provided that (a) someone in this community can
vouch for the quality of the book, and (b) we accept links for all books
that are relevant and of sufficient quality.

        2) whether or not to accept "Sponsored by" links on the home page
> for donations to the project (e.g. Continuum Analytics has sponsored Ondrej
> release management, other companies have sponsored pull requests, other
> companies may want to provide donations and we would want to recognize
> their contributions to the numpy project).

+1 for putting this on the main page. Something like the Support section on
the IPython main page would be good. It lists specifically what the support
was for.

> These decisions should be made by the NumPy community which in my mind are
> interested people on this list.   Who is interested in this kind of
> discussion?
>
> We could have these discussions on this list or on the
> numfocus@googlegroups.com list and keep this list completely technical
> (which I prefer, but I will do whatever the consensus is).

I'd prefer things that are cross-project to move to the numfocus list, but
things that are specifically about NumPy (which numpy.org content is) to
stay on this list.

Ralf