[Numpy-discussion] www.numpy.org home page

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Sun Dec 16 07:52:28 CST 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> For people interested in the www.numpy.org home page:
>>
>> Jon Turner has officially transferred the www.numpy.org domain to
>> NumFOCUS.      Thank you, Jon for this donation and for being a care-taker
>> of the domain-name.   We have setup the domain registration to point to
>> numpy.github.com and I've changed the CNAME in that repostiory to
>> www.numpy.org
>>
>> I've sent an email to have the numpy.scipy.org page to redirect to
>> www.numpy.org.
>>
>> The NumPy home page can still be edited in this repository:
>>  git@github.com:numpy/numpy.org.git.   Pull requests are always welcome
>> --- especially pull requests that improve the look and feel of the web-page.
>>
>> Two of the content changes that we need to make a decision about is
>>
>>         1) whether or not to put links to books published (Packt
>> publishing for example has offered a higher percentage of their revenues if
>> we put a prominent link on www.numpy.org)
>>

> I'm +1 on showing links to books in a sidebar on the main page and/or on
> the documentation page, provided that (a) someone in this community can
> vouch for the quality of the book, and (b) we accept links for all books
> that are relevant and of sufficient quality.

Does anyone have an informed opinion on the quality of these books:

"NumPy 1.5 Beginner's Guide", Ivan Idris,
http://www.packtpub.com/numpy-1-5-using-real-world-examples-beginners-guide/book

"NumPy Cookbook", Ivan Idris,
http://www.packtpub.com/numpy-for-python-cookbook/book

"Python for Data Analysis", Wes McKinney,
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023784.do

"SciPy and NumPy", Eli Bressert,
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920020219.do

The first 5 books at