[Numpy-discussion] DARPA funding for Blaze and passing the NumPy torch

Jason Grout jason-sage@creativetrax....
Mon Dec 17 20:10:05 CST 2012

On 12/16/12 11:07 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> There is a lot happening in my life right now and I am spread quite
> thin among the various projects that I take an interest in.     In
> particular, I am thrilled to publicly announce on this list that
> Continuum Analytics has received DARPA funding (to the tune of at
> least $3 million) for Blaze, Numba, and Bokeh which we are writing to
> take NumPy, SciPy, and visualization into the domain of very large
> data sets.    This is part of the XDATA program, and I will be taking
> an active role in it.    You can read more about Blaze here:
> http://blaze.pydata.org.   You can read more about XDATA here:
> http://www.darpa.mil/Our_Work/I2O/Programs/XDATA.aspx

This is awesome.  As with the recent IPython grant, it would be great if
you guys got some good publicity from this.  For example, I see an
article up on Hacker News about blaze, but there doesn't seem to be a
mention of big funding.  Has someone written a press release?  Has
someone submitted the grant news to Hacker News or Slashdot, where you
might attract attention and mindshare?

Thanks,

Jason