[Numpy-discussion] Future of numpy (was: DARPA funding for Blaze and passing the NumPy torch)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Sat Dec 22 16:19:02 CST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Travis - I think you are suggesting that there should be no  one
>>> person in charge of numpy, and I think this is very unlikely to work
>>> well.   Perhaps there are good examples of well-led projects where
>>> there is not a clear leader, but I can't think of any myself at the
>>> moment.  My worry would be that, without a clear leader, it will be
>>> unclear how decisions are made, and that will make it very hard to
>>> take strategic decisions.
>>
>> Curious; my feeling is the opposite, that among mature and successful
>> FOSS projects, having a clear leader is the uncommon case. GCC
>> doesn't, Glibc not only has no leader but they recently decided to get
>> rid of their formal steering committee, I'm pretty sure git doesn't,
>> Apache certainly doesn't, Samba doesn't really, etc. As usual Karl
>> Fogel has sensible comments on this:
>>  http://producingoss.com/en/consensus-democracy.html
>>
>> In practice the main job of a successful FOSS leader is to refuse to
>> make decisions, nudge people to work things out, and then if they
>> refuse to work things out tell them to go away until they do:
>>  https://lwn.net/Articles/105375/
>> and what actually gives people influence in a project is the respect
>> of the other members. The former stuff is stuff anyone can do, and the
>> latter isn't something you can confer or take away with a vote.
>>

> I will strongly voice my opinion that NumPy does not need an official single "leader".

I am sorry, I have a feeling this question might be unwelcome - but I
think it's reasonable to say that having three people in joint charge
is an unusual choice.   I suppose it has various risks and advantages.
Would you mind saying a little bit about why you chose this option
instead of the more common one of having a single lead?  What problems
do you think might arise?  How can they be detected and avoided?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew