[Numpy-discussion] Heads up and macro deprecation.

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Thu Feb 2 10:58:57 CST 2012

On 02/01/2012 02:53 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Two things here.
>
> 1) Some macros for threading and the iterator now require a trailing
> semicolon. This change will be reverted before the 1.7 release so that
> scipy 0.10 will compile, but because it is desirable in the long term
> it would be helpful if folks maintaining c extensions using numpy
> would try compiling them against current development and adding the
> semicolon where needed. The added semicolon will be backward
> compatible with earlier versions of numpy.

Why do the changes need to "be reverted before the 1.7 release'?
Scipy 0.10 was released nearly three months ago so we should be moving
forward. I think this is not the first time a released scipy would not
build with the 'future' numpy. But most of the scipy 0.10 downloads are
binaries so I presume that this change should not affect those users.
But if this is such a major downstream problem, just have a very, very
minor bug-fix very much restricted to this issue. If the changes do not
affect binary users then perhaps just a re-release of the source
archives would be needed rather than a full bug release.

> 2) It is proposed to deprecate all of the macros in the old_defines.h
> file and require the use of their replacements. Numpy itself will have
> made this change after pull-189
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/189> is merged and getting rid of
> the surplus macros will help clean up the historical detritus that has
> built up over the years, easing maintenance, clarifying code, and
> making the eventual transition to 2.0 a bit easier. There is a sed
> script in the tools directory as part of the pull request that can be
> used to make the needed substitutions.

Isn't this just formalizing the name changes that has been happening for
some time in 'core/include/numpy/old_defines.h'?
That is people have really been using the 'new macros' for ages, just
that these have been 'called' with the old names. If so, I would be
support an aggressive stance for those changes are just renaming and the
slow depreciation cycle for other cases.

Bruce