[Numpy-discussion] Heads up and macro deprecation.

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe@gmail....
Thu Feb 2 16:24:23 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Two things here.
>
> 1) Some macros for threading and the iterator now require a trailing
> semicolon. This change will be reverted before the 1.7 release so that
> scipy 0.10 will compile, but because it is desirable in the long term it
> would be helpful if folks maintaining c extensions using numpy would try
> compiling them against current development and adding the semicolon where
> needed. The added semicolon will be backward compatible with earlier
> versions of numpy.

Perhaps we could just deprecate the semicolon thing, so that it changes
along with the other C changes?

> 2) It is proposed to deprecate all of the macros in the old_defines.h file
> and require the use of their replacements. Numpy itself will have made this
> change after pull-189 <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/189> is merged
> and getting rid of the surplus macros will help clean up the historical
> detritus that has built up over the years, easing maintenance, clarifying
> code, and making the eventual transition to 2.0 a bit easier. There is a
> sed script in the tools directory as part of the pull request that can be
> used to make the needed substitutions.

I'm in favour. In general, it would be nice if NumPy code could serve as
examples for people wanting tips on writing NumPy C extensions, and these
cleanups are very helpful for that.

-Mark