[Numpy-discussion] On making Numpy 1.7 a long term support release.

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Sat Feb 4 22:13:53 CST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
>>
>> We are spending a lot of time on NumPy and will be for the next few
>> months.  I think that 1.8 will be a better long term release.  We need a few
>> more fundamental features yet.
>>
>> Look for a roadmap document for discussion from Mark Wiebe and I within
>> the week about NumPy 1.8 which has a target release of June 2012.
>>

> Looking forward to that document.
>
> Chuck

A suitable long term release would include deprecating old macros,
datetime and einsum. While I would like to include NA, I am rather
concerned with the recent bugs that have been uncovered with it. So I
am rather wary of having to forced to backport fixes simply because
someone said we would "support with bug fixes for the next 2-3 years".
Rather at least clearly indicate that not every fix will be
backported.

I propose that we use this opportunity end support for Python 2.4
especially since Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 4 is February 29th,
2012. According to SourceForge, the last available binary release for
Python 2.4 was for numpy 1.2.1 (released 2008-10-29). There is still
quite a few downloads (3769) of the Python 2.5 numpy 1,6.1 binary.

Bruce