[Numpy-discussion] On making Numpy 1.7 a long term support release.

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Feb 10 03:25:10 CST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
>>
>> I think supporting Python 2.5 and above is completely fine.  I'd even be
>> in favor of bumping up to Python 2.6 for NumPy 1.7 and certainly for NumPy
>> 2.8
>>
> +1 for dropping Python 2.5 support also for an LTS release. That will make
> it a lot easier to use str.format() and the with statement (plus many other
> things) going forward, without having to think about if your changes can be
> backported to that LTS release.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would really like to
stay to 2.4, especially for a long term release :) This is still the
basis used by a lots of long-term python products. If we can support
2.4 for a LTS, I would then be much more comfortable to allow bumping
to 2.5 for 1.8.

David