[Numpy-discussion] On making Numpy 1.7 a long term support release.

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Sat Feb 11 12:51:50 CST 2012

NumPy 1.7 is due out in the next few weeks.   This will obviously support 2.4.   It can be used for as long as people want.

Right now, there is a plan for NumPy 1.8 to be released in the summer which will have much attention paid to it in order to improve the documentation, add bug-fixes, as well as make feature additions.    Right now, the plan is to have that release support 2.5, however, major bug-fixes will be back-ported to the 1.7 series as patches are available.   I suspect that different organizations will use different versions of NumPy as their own LTS.    I plan on encouraging people to use 1.8 as the LTS.

Work on NumPy 2.0 is already underway, but it will likely not be ready until January of 2013 at the earliest.   Of course, there may be happy circumstances that accelerate that plan and other events that delay it.  But, that is my best guess at the moment.

Best,

-Travis