[Numpy-discussion] Migrating issues to GitHub

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Feb 11 15:59:41 CST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/11/2012 10:44 AM, Travis Oliphant wrote:<snip>
>

>> > 2) You must be an admin to label an issue (i.e. set it as a bug,
>> > enhancement, or so forth).
>>
>> A third problem is that the entire style of presentation is poorly
>> designed from a use standpoint, in comparison to the sourceforge tracker
>> which mpl used previously.  The github tracker appears to have been
>> designed by a graphics person, not a software maintainer.  The
>> information density in the issue list is very low; it is impossible to
>> scan a large number of issues at once; there doesn't seem to be any
>> useful sorting and selection mechanism.
>

> The lack of a tabular way to mass-edit bugs is one of my biggest problems
> with the current trac. One thing that ideally we could do regularly is to
> rapidly triage 100s of bugs. Currently trac requires you to go through them
> one by one, like harvesting wheat with a scythe instead of a combine. Users
> who are mentioned in a lot of tickets also get spammed by a large number of
> message, instead of getting a single summary update of all the triaging that
> was done.
>
> Does the github bug tracker have a good story about mass bug-updating?

Github is better than trac on that issue: updating the milestone for
many bugs at once is simple. You don't have priorities, etc…, though.
The Rest API also enables in principle to write tools to automate the
repetitive tasks.

David