[Numpy-discussion] Issue Tracking

Mon Feb 13 14:37:51 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io>wrote:

> I'm wondering about using one of these commercial issue tracking plans for
> NumPy and would like thoughts and comments.    Both of these plans allow
> Open Source projects to have unlimited plans for free.
>
> Free usage of a tool that's itself not open source is not all that
different from using Github, so no objections from me.

> YouTrack from JetBrains:
>
> http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/features/issue_tracking.html
>
> This looks promising. It seems to have good Github integration, and I
checked that you can easily export all your issues (so no lock-in). It's a
company that isn't going anywhere (I hope), and they do a very nice job
with PyCharm.

> JIRA:
>
> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview/tour/code-integration
>
> Haven't looked into this one in much detail. I happen to have a dislike
for Confluence (their wiki system), so someone else can say some nice
things about JIRA.

Haven't tried either tracker though. Anyone with actual experience?

> What Mark Wiebe said about making it easy to "manage the issues" quickly
> and what Eric said about making sure there are interfaces with dense
> information content really struck chords with me.  I have seen a lot of
> time wasted on issue management with Trac --- time that could be better
> spent on NumPy.    I'd like to make issue management efficient --- even if
> it means a system separate from GitHub.
>
> Issue management is a very important part of the open-source process.
>
> While we're at it, our buildbot situation is much worse than our issue
tracker situation. This also looks good (and free):
http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/

Ralf