[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-Dev] Discussion with Guido van Rossum and (hopefully) core python-dev on scientific Python and Python3

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Mon Feb 13 22:03:07 CST 2012

On Monday, February 13, 2012, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like the ability to make "in" (i.e., __contains__) return
> something other than a bool.
>
> Also, the ability to make the x < y < z syntax would be useful.  It's
> been suggested that the ability to override the boolean operators
> (and, or, not) would be the way to do this (pep 335), though I'm not
> 100% convinced that's the way to go.
>
> Aaron Meurer

+1 on these syntax ideas, however I do agree that it might be a bit
problematic.

Also, I remember once talking about labeled arrays and discussing ways to
index them and ways to indicate which axis the indexing was for.  That
might require some sort of syntax changes.

Ben Root