[Numpy-discussion] Updated differences between 1.5.1 to 1.6.1

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Tue Feb 14 12:25:23 CST 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 3:32 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Hi Travis,
>
> It is great that some resources can be spent to have people paid to
> work on NumPy. Thank you for making that happen.
>
> I am slightly confused about roadmaps for numpy 1.8 and 2.0. This
> needs discussion on the ML, and our release manager currently is Ralf
> - he is the one who ultimately decides what goes when.

Thank you for reminding me of this.  Ralf and I spoke several days ago, and have been working on how to give him more time to spend on SciPy full-time.   As a result, he will be release managing NumPy 1.7, but for NumPy 1.8, I will be the release manager again.   Ralf will continue serving as release manager for SciPy.

For NumPy 2.0 and beyond, Mark Wiebe will likely be the release manager.   I only know that I won't be release manager past NumPy 1.X.

> I am also not
> completely comfortable by having a roadmap advertised to Pycon not
> coming from the community.

This is my bad wording which is a function of being up very late.    At PyCon we will be discussing the roadmap conversations that are taking place on this list.   We won't be presenting anything there related to the NumPy project that has not first been discussed here.

The community will have ample opportunity to provide input, suggestions, and criticisms for anything that goes into NumPy --- the same as I've always done before when releasing open source software.   In fact, I will also be discussing at PyCon, the creation of NumFOCUS (NumPy Foundation for Open Code for Usable Science) which has been organized precisely for ensuring that NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, and IPython stay community-focused and community-led even while receiving input and money from multiple companies and organizations.

There is a mailing list for numfocus that you can sign up for if you would like to be part of those discussions.   Let me know if you would like more information about that.    John Hunter, Fernando Perez, me, Perry Greenfield, and Jarrod Millman are the initial board of the Foundation.   But, I expect the Foundation directors to evolve over time.

Best regards,

-Travis