[Numpy-discussion] Release management (was: Updated differences between 1.5.1 to 1.6.1)

Tue Feb 14 14:24:29 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io>wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2012, at 3:32 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
> > Hi Travis,
> >
> > It is great that some resources can be spent to have people paid to
> > work on NumPy. Thank you for making that happen.
> >
> > I am slightly confused about roadmaps for numpy 1.8 and 2.0. This
> > needs discussion on the ML, and our release manager currently is Ralf
> > - he is the one who ultimately decides what goes when.
>
> Thank you for reminding me of this.  Ralf and I spoke several days ago,
> and have been working on how to give him more time to spend on SciPy
> full-time.

Well, full-time is the job that I get paid for:)

As a result, he will be release managing NumPy 1.7, but for NumPy 1.8, I
> will be the release manager again.   Ralf will continue serving as release
> manager for SciPy.

I had planned to bring this up only after the 1.7 release but yes, I would
like to push the balance of my open-source work a little from
release/maintenance work towards writing more new code. I've been doing
both NumPy and SciPy releases for about two years now, and it's time for me
to hand over the manager hat for one of those two. And my preference is to
keep on doing the SciPy releases rather than the NumPy ones.

For NumPy 2.0 and beyond, Mark Wiebe will likely be the release manager.
> I only know that I won't be release manager past NumPy 1.X.

Travis, it's very good to see that the release manager role can be filled
going forward (it's not the most popular job), but I think the way it
should work is that people volunteer for this role and then the community
agrees on giving a volunteer that role.

I actually started contributing when David asked for someone to take over
from him in the above manner. Maybe someone else will step up now, giving
you or Mark more time to work on new NumPy features (which I'm pretty sure
you'd prefer).

Cheers,
Ralf