[Numpy-discussion] Implicit conversion of python datetime to numpy datetime64?

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Tue Feb 14 22:17:53 CST 2012

Just a thought I had.  Right now, I can pass a list of python ints or
floats into np.array() and get a numpy array with a sensible dtype.  Is
there any reason why we can't do the same for python's datetime?  Right
now, it is very easy for me to make a list comprehension of datetime
objects using strptime(), but it is very awkward to make a numpy array out
of it.

The only barrier I can think of are those who have already built code
around a object dtype array of datetime objects.

Thoughts?
Ben Root

P.S. - what ever happened to arange() and linspace() for datetime64?