[Numpy-discussion] Numpy governance update

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac@gmail....
Wed Feb 15 07:51:15 CST 2012

On 2/14/2012 10:07 PM, Bruce Southey wrote:
> The one thing that gets over looked here is that there is a huge
> diversity of users with very different skill levels. But very few
> people have an understanding of the core code. (In fact the other
> thread about type-casting suggests that it is extremely few people.)
> So in all of this, I do not yet see 'community'.

As an active user and long-time list member
who has never even looked at the core code,
I perhaps presumptuously urge a moderation
of rhetoric. I object to the idea that users
like myself do not form part of the "community".

This list has 1400 subscribers, and the fact that
most of us are quiet most of the time does not mean we
are not interested or attentive to the discussions,
including discussions of governance.

It looks to me like this will be great for NumPy.
People who would otherwise not be able to spend much
time on NumPy will be spending a lot of time improving
the code and adding features. In my view, this will help
NumPy advance which will enlarge the user community, which will
slowly but inevitably enlarge the contributor community.
I'm pretty excited about Travis's bold efforts to find
ways to allow him and others to spend more time on NumPy.
I wish him the best of luck.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac