[Numpy-discussion] Numpy governance update - was: Updated differences between 1.5.1 to 1.6.1

Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1@uw....
Thu Feb 16 01:11:36 CST 2012


On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your points are well taken.   However, my point is that this has been discussed on an open mailing list.   Things weren't *as* open as they could have been, perhaps, in terms of board selection.  But, there was opportunity for people to provide input.
>>
>> I am on the numpy, scipy, matplotlib, ipython and cython mailing
>> lists.  Jarrod and Fernando are friends of mine.  I've been obviously
>> concerned about numpy governance for some time.  I didn't know about
>> this mailing list, had only a vague idea that some sort of foundation
>> was being proposed and I had no idea at all that you'd selected a
>> board.  Would you say that was closer to 'open' or closer to 'closed'?
>
> I see it a different way.    First, the Foundation is not a NumPy-governance thing.   Certainly it could grow in that direction over time, but it isn't there now, nor is that its goal.     Second, the Foundation is just getting started.    It's only come together over the past couple of weeks.    The fact that we are talking about it now, seems to me to indicate that it is quite "open" --- certainly closer to 'open' then you seem to imply.      Also, the fact that there was a public mailing list for its discussion certainly sounds "open" to me (poorly advertised I will grant you).     I tried to include as many people as I thought were interested by the responses to the initial emails on the list.    I reached out to people that contacted me expressing their interest, and included them on the mailing list.     I can accept that I made mistakes.   I can guarantee that I will make more.   Your feedback is appreciated and noted.
>
> The fact is that the Foundation is really a service organization that will require a lot of work to run and administer.    It's effectiveness at fulfilling its mission will depend on how well it serves the group on this list, as well as the other groups that are working on Python for Science.   I'm all for getting as many volunteers as we can get for the Foundation.   I've just been trying to get things organized.   Sometimes this works best by phone calls and direct contact, rather than mailing lists.
>
> For those interested.   The Foundation mission is to:
>
>        * Promote Open Source Software for Science
>        * Fund Open Source Projects in Science (currently NumPy, SciPy, IPython, and Matplotlib are first-tier with a whole host of second-tier projects that could received funding)
>                * through grants
>                * through code bounties
>                * through graduate-student scholarships
>        * Sponsor sprints
>        * Sponsor conferences
>        * Sponsor student travel
>        * etc., etc.
>
> Whether or not it can do any of those things depends on whether or not it can raise money from people and organizations that benefit from the Scientific Python Stack.    All of this will be advertised more as the year progresses.
>

This sounds really exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you,
Mark, et al release over the next year.

-Chris Jordan-Squire


> Best regards,
>
> -Travis
> _______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list
> NumPy-Discussion@scipy.org
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion


More information about the NumPy-Discussion mailing list