[Numpy-discussion] strange behavior of numpy.random.multivariate_normal, ticket:1842

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Thu Feb 16 11:00:29 CST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> 16.02.2012 14:54, josef.pktd@gmail.com kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> If I interpret you correctly, this should be a svd ticket, or an svd
>> ticket as "duplicate" ?
>
> I think it should be a multivariate normal ticket.
>
> "Fixing" SVD is in my opinion not sensible: its only guarantee is that A
> = U S V^H down to numerical precision and S are sorted.

I agree, but the behavior is still surprising -- people reasonably
expect something like svd to be deterministic. So there's probably a
doc bug for alerting people that their reasonable expectation is, in
fact, wrong :-).

-- Nathaniel