Fri Feb 17 14:49:48 CST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Warren Weckesser
>> <warren.weckesser@enthought.com> wrote:

>> with

>> and
>> the

>> of

>> what
>> are:
>> unicode
>> structured
>> function
>> compiler

>> will
>> features
>> he is

>> be a
>> see.
>> >

>> > The above list looks great.  Another request that comes up occasionally
>> on
>> > the mailing list is for the efficient computation of order statistics,
>> the
>> > simplest case being a combined min/max function.  Longish thread starts
>> > here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/44130/
>>
>> The list looks great, but for the time table I expect there will be at
>> least a 1.9 and 1.10 necessary to improve what "we didn't get quite
>> right in the first place", or what not many users had time to try out.
>>

> That's my sense also. I think the long list needs to be prioritized and
> broken up into smaller chunks.

+1 for an extra release (or two).

Looking at the list of features, which looks great by the way, I think the
last release before adding a whole bunch of new features should be the LTS.
Ideally 1.8 would be mostly the refactoring and the LTS, with 1.9
containing most of the new features. If not, 1.7 should probably be the LTS.

Ralf