Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Fri Feb 17 21:54:12 CST 2012

Den 17. feb. 2012 kl. 18:52 skrev Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu>:.

> It's true that matplotlib relies heavily on C++, both via the Agg
> library and in its own extension code.  Personally, I don't like this; I
> think it raises the barrier to contributing.  C++ is an order of
> magnitude more complicated than C--harder to read, and much harder to
> write, unless one is a true expert.

This is not true. C++ can be much easier, particularly for those who already know Python. The problem: C++ textbooks teach C++ as a subset of C. Writing C in C++ just adds the complexity of C++ on top of C, for no good reason. I can write FORTRAN in any language, it does not mean it is a good idea. We would have to start by teaching people to write good C++.  E.g., always use the STL like Python built-in types if possible. Dynamic memory should be std::vector, not new or malloc. Pointers should be replaced with references. We would have to write a C++ programming tutorial that is based on Pyton knowledge instead of C knowledge.

Sturla