Eric Firing efiring@hawaii....
Sat Feb 18 02:16:15 CST 2012

On 02/17/2012 09:55 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> I may not have explained it very well: my whole point is that we don't
> recruite people, where I understand recruit as hiring full time,
> profesional programmers.We need more people who can casually spend a few
> hours - typically grad students, scientists with an itch. There is no
> doubt that more professional programmers know c++ compared to C. But a
> community project like numpy has different requirements than a
> "professional" project.

My sense from the thread so far is that the C++ push is part of the new
vision, in which numpy will make the transition to a more "professional"
level, with paid developers, and there will no longer be the expectation
that "grad students, scientists with an itch" will dive into the
innermost guts of the code.  The guts will be more like Qt or AGG or
0MQ--solid, documented libraries that just work (I think--I don't really
know that much about these examples), so we can take them for granted
and worry about other things instead.   If that can be accomplished, it
is certainly more than fine with me; and if the best way to accomplish
that is with C++, so be it.

Eric