[Numpy-discussion] How a transition to C++ could work

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Sun Feb 19 09:23:58 CST 2012

Den 19.02.2012 11:30, skrev Christopher Jordan-Squire:

> Can this possibly be extended to the following: How will Mark's
> (extensive) experience about performance and long-term consequences of
> design decisions be communicated to future developers? We not only
> want new numpy developers, we want them to write good code without
> unintentional performance regressions. It seems like something more
> than just code guidelines would be required.

There are more examples of crappy than good C++ out there. There
are tons of litterature on how to write crappy C++. And most
programmers do not have the skill or knowledge to write good C++.

My biggest issue with C++ is the variability of skills among
programmers. It will result in code that are:

- unncessesary complex
- ugly looking
- difficult to understand
- verbose and long
- inefficient
- full of subtile errors
- impossible to debug
- impossible to maintain
- not scalable with hardware
- dependent on one particular compiler

It is easier to achive this with C++ than C. But it is also
easier to avoid. Double-edged sword.

It will take more than guidelines.

Sturla