Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Mon Feb 20 09:15:59 CST 2012

Den 20.02.2012 10:54, skrev Pauli Virtanen:
> Fortran is OK for simple numerical algorithms, but starts to suck
> heavily if you need to do any string handling, I/O, complicated logic,
> or data structures

For string handling, C is actually worse than Fortran. In Fortran a
string can be sliced like in Python. It is not as nice as Python, but
far better than C.

Fortran's built-in I/O syntax is archaic, but the ISO C bindings in
Fortran 2003 means one can use other means of I/O (posix, win api, C
stdio) in a portable way.

Sturla